Vegan avocado brownies are fudgy, chocolatey, and perfectly sweet, but instead of plain ole’ canola oil, avocado gives the benefit of healthy fats (omega-3s!), fiber, and a smooth and creamy texture – what’s not to like?
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases; read my disclaimer policy for more information.
I know, I know – you’re thinking “Avocado? In brownies?!” Trust me. I don’t know about you, but my favorite kind of brownie is a fudgy, moist (sorry, it’s true) chocolate explosion. The natural creaminess of avocado adds a nice level of moistness, and adds to the fudginess of the brownies.
The base brownie recipe is adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie’s vegan brownie recipe. I switched a couple things here and there to account for the avocado, but overall these vegan avocado brownies wouldn’t be here without her deliciously perfect recipe.
Is it just me, or is Valentine’s day just an excuse for desserts? If so, I’m totally okay with it. Not that I really need an excuse to make brownies, or to make a pink dessert for the umpteenth time. Although these brownies are my contribution to Valentine’s day and all of its pink & sweet glory, they work perfectly year round.
If you’re not into icing, or you’re trying to cut down on sugar, these vegan avocado brownies are just as delicious on their own.
The strawberry icing is inspired by the icing on my vegan strawberry cake , because I just can’t get enough of strawberries and drippy icing. I can enjoy a thick buttercream as much as anyone else, but this strawberry icing is the perfect light and sweet complement to the dense and fudgy avocado brownies.
Whipping these brownies up is as easy as blend, mix, and pour. Top with berries of choice, slice up, and enjoy.
Vegan Fudgy Avocado Brownies with Strawberry Icing
Vegan Fudgy Avocado Brownies
- 1/2 cup ripe avocado (~1/2 large avocado)
- 1 cup soy milk, or non-dairy milk of preference
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax + 2 tbsp water)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup frozen whole strawberries, thawed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Vegan Fudgy Avocado Brownies.
- Preheat oven to 350F and oil an 8×8 brownie pan. In a blender, combine avocado, milk, sugar, agave, and vanilla extract. Blend 15-20 seconds, or until smooth.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt).
- Make flax egg by combining 1 tbsp ground flax seed with 2 tbsp water. Stir and let set for two minutes before using.
- Pour avocado mixture into dry ingredients, stirring to combine. Add flax egg to brownie mixture, stirring until fully combined. Pour brownie batter into greased pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Combine powdered sugar, vanilla, and thawed strawberries in a blender. Blend until smooth. If icing is too thin, add extra powdered sugar. If too thick, add a teaspoon of milk at a time.