These thick and fudgy vegan peanut butter brownies are packed with peanut butter from the inside out. They’re mixed together in one bowl using cocoa powder and classic brownie ingredients.
Peanut butter flavor comes through with every bite in these soft, fudgy chocolate peanut butter brownies.
And as if chocolate and peanut butter on the inside of a brownie isn’t enough, check out this peanut butter swirl on top! I was inspired by Isa Chandra, one of my favorite vegan chefs. Everything she makes is golden!
Don’t let the addition of peanut butter fool you into thinking this recipe is a healthy spin on traditional brownies. It’s not (sorry).
These brownies use only classic ingredients, like sugar (organic is used to assure that it’s vegan), all-purpose flour, and cocoa powder.
No black beans or tofu here, just deliciously indulgent brownies made the old-fashioned way.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases; read my disclaimer policy for more information.
This brownie recipe was developed with one thing in mind:
Homemade brownies should be easy to make.
If you’re like me, you enjoy making brownies as a last minute treat. Really, the majority of the time that I make brownies it’s on the spur of the moment.
Sometimes you just have to answer to a comfort food craving!
That’s why this recipe uses straight-forward, common ingredients, just like those classic fudgy box mix brownies.
That way, when brownie making time calls you hopefully already have the ingredients in your pantry!
How do you make vegan peanut butter brownies?
These brownies use the classic store-bought brownie mix method:
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.
- Pour in the wet ingredients, mixing until a batter forms.
Ta-da! Brownie batter for ooey-gooey brownies.
The peanut butter swirl may look fancy, but it’s super easy to make. Drizzle the peanut butter swirl “sauce” on the brownies in four lines.
Pull a knife through the lines to make a swirl. Or freestyle your swirl and pour it into whatever swirls and lines your heart desires!
Sweet tooth not yet satisfied?
A side note: If you aren’t vegan, this recipe can be made using eggs instead of flax eggs. I tested this recipe out with a few different variations and found that the eggs give the brownies a fluffier, cakier texture, whereas the flax eggs increase the density of the brownies.
Both results are ooey-gooey and beyond delicious.
More sweet-tooth approved vegan recipes
- Vegan Zucchini Banana Muffins
- Easy Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
- Vegan Gingerbread Loaf
- Southern-Style Vegan Banana Pudding
- Strawberry and Lemon Muffins
Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Brownies
Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- 1 cup organic white sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk, such as soy or almond milk
- 2 flax eggs 2 flax eggs: 2 tablespoons ground flax seed, 6 tablespoons water)
Peanut Butter Swirl
- 1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Make your flax egg by combining the flax seed and water in a small bowl. Let set for 5 minutes before using.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl: sugar, cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour in the wet ingredients: peanut butter, canola oil, non-dairy milk, flax eggs. Mix until a thick but spreadable batter forms.
- Spread the brownie batter into the greased 8x8 inch pan.
- Mix together the peanut butter swirl ingredients, adding additional milk as needed to make drizzle-able. Drizzle over the brownies in lines. Drag a knife through the lines to make swirls.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let brownies cool before slicing. Enjoy!