Hearty Lentil Quinoa Soup
A quick and nutritious soup made with green lentils, quinoa, and hearty spices.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 and 1/2 cups green lentils
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1/3 cup millet
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced (about 1 large carrot)
- 1/4 cup celery, diced (about 2 stalks)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (plus more for topping)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, saute carrots, celery, and onion for 4-5 minutes, until slightly softened. Add the garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
Add all seasonings (cumin, marjoram, paprika, onion powder, nutmeg, fresh parsley, black pepper) and stir for about 30 seconds to bloom the spices.
Add the tomatoes with their juices, lemon juice, vegetable broth, water, lentils, quinoa, and millet. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked.
Taste for salt and other seasonings. Remove the bay leaf prior to serving. Serve and garnish with additional parsley. Keeps in the fridge for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 646mg | Potassium: 577mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1505IU | Vitamin C: 5.5mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 4.9mg