Fluffy Vegan Sweet Potato Pancakes
Vegan sweet potato pancakes that are fluffy and easy to make. Perfect for a fall breakfast topped with toasted pecans or walnuts. Makes 8 medium pancakes.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons organic brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/4 cups soy milk see note
- 1/2 cup mashed or pureed sweet potato see note
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together all dry ingredients (all purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon). Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
Stir together the wet ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the well, mixing with a wooden spoon to combine. Don't overmix; it's okay if a few lumps remain.
Lightly grease a medium skillet with nonstick spray. Place on the stove over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup pancake mixture at a time, smoothing to make round circles as needed. Flip the pancakes when the tops start bubbling, or when sufficiently browned.
Enjoy with maple syrup, walnuts, or coconut cream. Store refrigerated in a closed container for 2-3 days. Reheats best on the stove at medium-low heat.
- Sweet potato puree: One medium to large sweet potato yeilds about 1 cup of mashed or pureed sweet potato. Do not puree the sweet potato skin. For best results, I recommend pureeing the sweet potato in a blender. This will make the sweet potato much easier to mix into the batter.
- How to roast sweet potatoes: roast a medium sweet potato in a 425 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. It will be done when it's sizzling with juices and soft in the middle.
- Non-dairy milk: Choose your favorite unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk. I use soy milk for its creaminess and flavor, but almond or oat milk will also work.
- How to freeze pancakes: Vegan pancakes can be frozen for up to three months. To freeze, let the cooked pancakes cool to room temperature before stacking in a freezer-safe container (I love these freezer-safe glass containers).
Serving: 2medium pancakes | Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 86mg | Potassium: 316mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2360IU | Vitamin C: 0.4mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 2.8mg