Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice
This healthy instant pot recipe is made with brown rice, dry black beans and taco seasonings in under an hour.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 6 servings (1.5 cups each)
Base Recipe for Rice and Beans
- 1 and 1/2 cups brown rice, rinsed
- 1 and 1/2 cups dry black beans
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon oil of choice, more as needed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Rinse the black beans and remove any debris. Set aside.
Add the oil to your electric pressure cooker and press the "saute" button. Saute the onions until translucent. Add garlic and saute a minute more.
Add the seasonings, tomatoes with juice, black beans, and rice. Pour in the vegetable broth and water. Stir to combine.
Lock the pressure cooker lid in place and set the pressure release valve to "sealing". Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
Once the cook time is done, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
Carefully move the pressure valve from sealing to venting and manually release the remaining steam. Enjoy!
- To make this recipe without the canned tomatoes substitute 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth.
- Older beans may take longer to cook. If you find that your beans aren't cooked all the way through, lock the lid back in place and set to high pressure for another 5 minutes. Release pressure manually.
- You can freeze rice and beans for up to three months. Place in the fridge to thaw at least 24 hours before you plan to use. These are my favorite freezer-safe glass containers.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 371kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 623mg | Potassium: 1018mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 335IU | Vitamin C: 8.4mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 4.3mg