The Best Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
This vegan macaroni and cheese is made creamy and delicious with coconut milk. This recipe is nut free and takes under 30 minutes to make!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 6 servings (2/3 cup each)
Creamy Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cups pasta of choice, dry
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cans (13.5 oz each) unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- water, as needed for thinning
- 2 tablespoons yellow miso
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Saute garlic in oil for about 1 minute, until lightly browned and fragrant. Turn heat down to medium low.
Add in flour, whisking for about 30 seconds, until lightly browned. Add in nutritional yeast. The mixture will get a little crumbly. Whisk rapidly while slowly pouring in the coconut milk. Add in miso, lemon juice, mustard powder, salt. Bring the sauce to a boil, then lower down to a simmer. Continue to whisk occasionally to prevent clumping.
Add in water as needed to thin the sauce to desired consistency. When the sauce is thickened (it should be able to coat the back of a spoon without running off), stir in the cooked pasta.
The sauce will thicken up as it cools. Just reheat it to smooth it back out! Enjoy.
- For a lower fat option: Use one can of light or reduced-fat coconut milk in place of a can of full-fat coconut milk. The recipe will be slightly less creamy, but still delicious.
- To make gluten-free: Use an all-purpose gluten-free flour in place of regular all-purpose flour.
- You can make the cheese sauce in bulk and freeze for later use. It will need to thaw in the fridge for up to 24 hours before using, and will need to be stirred and heated before using.
Calories: 451kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 29g | Sodium: 427mg | Potassium: 487mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 3mg