Vegetarian Black Bean Enchilada Casserole
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 and 1/2 cups red enchilada sauce (20 ounces)
- 4 ounces diced green chiles drained
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 10 6 inch white corn tortillas sliced in half into half moons
- fresh cilantro, lime and avocado for serving
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add diced yellow onion and bell pepper. Crumble tofu directly into the pan, as you would with a tofu scramble. Saute until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Add black beans, 1 cup enchilada sauce, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Simmer over medium-low for 5 minutes, or until enchilada sauce is heated through. Taste for seasonings.
To assemble the casserole: Spread 1/2 cup enchilada sauce in a two quart baking dish. Layer three tortillas (6 half moons) so that the sauce is mostly covered. Cover with half of the black bean filling (about 2 and 1/2 cups). Sprinkle evenly with 2/3 cup cheese. Repeat once more: tortillas, filling, cheese. Top with 3-4 tortillas (6-8 pieces). It's okay if gaps aren't completely covered. Spread 1 cup enchilada sauce over tortillas. Sprinkle with 2/3 cup cheese.
Place the casserole uncovered on the middle oven rack. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy topped with chopped cilantro, avocado and Greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Mexican cheese blend: This is a combination of sharp cheddar, Colby and Monterrey jack cheese.
- Keeps refrigerated for 4-5 days.
- To freeze: Slice the enchilada casserole into individual servings once it is completely cooled. I usually do this when it is refrigerator temp for the tidiest slices. Store in freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months. Let thaw completely in the fridge before reheating in the microwave or oven.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 360kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 1669mg | Potassium: 331mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 1821IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 314mg | Iron: 3mg