Black Beans and Brown Rice
Learn how to make rice and beans in one pot using flavorful and inexpensive ingredients. Great in tacos, burritos or on its own.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 5 servings
- 2 cups brown rice medium or long grain
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion about one small onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small jalapeno diced (optional)
- 3 cups vegetable broth less or reduced sodium
- 1 can (14-15 ounces) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro plus more for topping
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans drained and rinsed
- fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro for serving
Rinse the brown rice in a fine mesh colander or sieve. Set aside.
Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a dutch oven or large stock pot. Once hot, add diced onion and bell pepper. Saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and saute a minute more.
Add vegetable broth, brown rice, tomatoes (with juices), cilantro, cumin, chili powder, dry oregano and salt. Stir to combine.
Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, cover with lid and reduce to a simmer over medium-low. Simmer for 45 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. If the rice isn't cooked through, continue cooking another 5 minutes. The rice is ready when softened but still holding its shape.
Stir in the black beans. Taste for seasonings. Serve with fresh lime and chopped cilantro.
- Brown rice cook time: Depending on the kind of pot that you use, too much steam may escape during the cooking process. If your rice isn’t cooked through and there is no liquid remaining, add an additional 1/2 cup of vegetable broth or water and continue simmering.
- Keeps for 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Can also be stored in freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw completely in the fridge before serving.
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 492kcal | Carbohydrates: 95g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 923mg | Potassium: 922mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1387IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 5mg