Vegan Black Eyed Pea Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Kale
Smokey and spicy stew made with hearty ingredients. Perfect for quick weeknight meals.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, medium diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno, diced
- 1 and 1/2 cups black eyed peas, cooked
- 1 (15.4 ounces) can petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped kale, loosely packed
In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add diced onions, celery, and sweet potatoes. Saute 5-7 minutes, until the onion and celery are softened. Add the garlic and jalapeño and saute for 1 more minute.
Stir in the cooked black-eyed peas, diced tomatoes with juice, vegetable broth, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and salt.
Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cover and simmer the soup until the sweet potatoes are softened, about 15-20 minutes.
Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, add in the chopped greens. Taste for salt and spice. Enjoy!
- Add frozen or canned black eyed peas directly to the pot; they don't need to be heated up in advance. You can also use these Instant Pot Vegan Black Eyed Peas.
- Use your favorite dark leafy green, such as kale or collard greens. You can also use spinach, but keep in mind that it wilts a lot more quickly than heartier greens.
Calories: 276kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1478mg | Potassium: 1268mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 22085IU | Vitamin C: 82.3mg | Calcium: 188mg | Iron: 4.7mg