Summer Vegetable Soup
This summer soup is filled with fresh vegetables and herbs. Perfect for a side salad or sandwich. Vegetarian, vegan and gluten free.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 8 servings (1.5 cup each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 0.5 pounds zucchini sliced into half moons
- 0.5 pounds summer squash sliced into half moons
- 2 ears sweet corn husked and silks removed and corn sliced from cob
- 1/2 pound green beans ends removed
- 1/2 pound fresh tomatoes diced
- 1 pound red potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12 ounces frozen lima beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) white beans drained and rinsed
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley plus more for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onion and fresh rosemary sprigs. Saute for 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add the garlic and saute a minute more.
Carefully remove rosemary sprigs. Add all vegetables: zucchini, squash, sweet corn, green beans, tomatoes, frozen lima beans, red potatoes, white beans. Cover in vegetable broth. Stir in salt, pepper, and fresh parsley. If extra liquid is needed to fully cover the vegetables, add 1/2 cup water at a time until vegetables are fully submerged.
Cover with a lid. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, uncover and reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered until potato is softened, about 12-15 minutes.
When the potatoes and vegetables are tender, stir in fresh lemon juice. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve topped with fresh parmesan and additional fresh chopped parsley.
- Vegetable broth is important in this recipe, so choose a broth with a flavor that you love or use a homemade broth. Vegetable bouillon cubes mixed with water will also work; just follow package instructions for the bouillon to water ratio.
- All vegetables can be substituted with the same amount of frozen or canned. If using canned, drain extra liquid before adding to the soup.
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1010mg | Potassium: 949mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1220IU | Vitamin C: 30.9mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 3.3mg