Vegetarian Black Bean Quinoa Casserole
This vegetarian casserole combines Mexican-inspired flavors with healthy ingredients like quinoa and black beans. No dicing or chopping required!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Servings: 5 servings
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- 1 cup sweet corn frozen or canned
- 2 cups black beans (about 1.5 cans)
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese divided in half
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- optional toppings: avocado or guacamole, salsa, diced jalapeno, cilantro, lime
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh sieve under running water for at least 30 seconds. This removes any bitterness that the quinoa might have. Combine the rinsed quinoa and vegetable broth in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer over medium-low heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked through.
Combine all ingredients, except for 1 cup of cheese, in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
Add mixture to a two quart baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, or until cheese is melted and turning golden.
Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve topped with avocado or guacamole, fresh cilantro and salsa.
- Mexican blend cheese: Usually includes sharp cheddar, colby jack and Monterry jack. Any of these three cheese can be used in place of a cheese blend.
- Keeps for 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Freeze for later: Let thaw completely. Transfer individual portions into freezer safe containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw completely in the fridge before reheating.
Calories: 444kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 1613mg | Potassium: 598mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1200IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 341mg | Iron: 4mg