Mash together chickpeas, avocado and a handful of veggies in this 15 minute lunch! This recipe is mayo-free, vegan and super satisfying.
If you're a fan of chickpea salad but you're not a fan of mayo, or if you just want to try something different for lunch, this recipe is for you!
This is the kind of recipe that I love making for a week of work lunches.
Just mash up avocado with chickpeas, spices and a few other ingredients and you have yourself a creamy and filling meal.
Chickpeas: We use two cans of chickpeas, or about three cups. This recipe can also be made with white beans!
Avocado: I use two medium avocados. One large avocado or three small avocados will yield similar results. Test if the avocado is ripe by pressing lightly on the outer skin. If it gives slightly, it should be ready.
Spices & seasonings: Mustard powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper are my go-to avocado mash seasonings. You can also add freshly chopped herbs and a dash of hot sauce for additional flavor.
Chopped veggies: Finely chopped celery, carrots and red onion add flavor and texture to this otherwise very soft mash. You can also add chopped cucumber, red bell pepper, etc.
"Add-ins" like pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds make this meal more nutritious and flavorful.
Step by step instructions
Step one. Mash the chickpeas and avocado with the seasonings. You can use a potato masher or fork to mash the chickpeas and avocado together. The riper the avocado, the easier it will be to mash.
Step two. Stir in the veggies and optional add-ins. That's it!
Recipe FAQ and Expert Tips
Texture: For a completely "smashed" salad, just keep mashing until smooth instead of leaving a few pieces of whole chickpea. You can also add all of the ingredients to a food processor and process to break it down more quickly.
The easiest way is to place an avocado in a paper bag with an apple. The apple will give off natural ethylene gas, which causes the avocado to ripen. Leave the bag out on the countertop until the avocado is ripe. Don't store it in the fridge because this actually slows the ripening process.
Keep leftovers refrigerated in a closed container for 3-4 days. The lemon juice should keep the avocado from oxidizing and turning brown.
- Sandwich: Add lettuce, tomato and your bread of choice for an easy lunch.
- Snack: Pair with crackers or carrots for an easy snack or appetizer. You can also spread it on a slice of toast for a snack.
- Salad: Serve on top of spinach or romaine with tahini dressing.
More vegetarian lunch ideas:
Did you make this recipe? You can leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ in the recipe card or a review down in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow along on my YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest or sign up for my newsletter!
Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwiches
- 2 medium avocados
- 2 15 ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed ~3 cups chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice from ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt more to taste
- ½ cup red onion finely diced
- ¼ cup celery finely diced
- ¼ cup carrot finely diced
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 10 slices bread of choice
- lettuce, tomato, onion for serving
- Remove the skin and seed from avocado. Add avocado to a bowl with chickpeas, lemon juice, ground mustard, garlic powder and salt. Mash with a fork or potato masher until mostly broken down and only a few whole chickpeas remain.
- Add the onion, celery, carrot, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. Stir together until combined. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve smashed avocado salad on bread with sandwich toppings of choice. Enjoy!