Vegan avocado pesto pasta is a filling twist on classic pesto. Made in less than 15 minutes, this quick recipe is packed with flavor and healthy ingredients.
Avocado pesto pasta is creamy, flavorful, and packed with nutrients from spinach and avocado. It’s made just like regular pesto, but with the addition of avocado (and minus the cheese!).
Choose your favorite pasta, mix up the avocado pesto, and enjoy an easy meal.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases; read my disclaimer policy for more information.
Avocados are packed with nutrients
- They’re loaded with fiber, which is important for a healthy gut
- Over 20 (!!) vitamins and minerals, such as Vitamin K and potassium
- Healthy fats found in avocados (omega-3s, omega 6-s) help the body absorb fat-soluble nutrients like Vitamin K and Vitamin A
The other secret to this super green pesto?
Adding frozen thawed spinach is an easy way to “bulk up” your pesto. Spinach blends in beautifully with pesto and it’s a powerhouse of nutrients. It’s also an inexpensive way to stretch the amount of pesto you have without sacrificing texture or flavor.
How do you make vegan pesto?
The main difference between regular pesto and vegan pesto is that vegan pesto has no cheese. This pesto still has all of the basic ingredients like basil, fresh garlic, nuts (we’ll use cashews instead of the traditional pine nuts), and a bit of olive oil.
Making the pesto just requires a blender or food processor.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender: avocado, olive oils, cashews, fresh lemon juice, thawed spinach, and fresh basil (plus salt and pepper!)
- Blend until smooth.
- Add to cooked pasta of choice. Serve warm or chilled.
Amp up your vegan pesto by topping with white beans and sliced cherry tomatoes.
Looking for a snack? Skip the pasta and enjoy this vegan avocado pesto on toast, crackers, or even in this vegan pesto lasagna.
Looking for more recipes?
- Hummus Pasta with Lemon & Arugula
- Chickpea Avocado Salad
- Tofu and Veggie Spring Roll Bowls
- Balsamic Cherry Tomato Pasta
- Balsamic Cherry Tomato Galette
Vegan Avocado Pesto Pasta
- 8 ounces dry pasta of choice
- 1 medium avocado, skin and seed removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups basil, loosely packed
- 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice from one lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto. Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and spreadable. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Toss pesto and pasta together. Enjoy topped with fresh cherry tomatoes.