Vegan pumpkin meatballs are a seasonal twist on classic bean-based meatballs! Pumpkin adds flavor, nutrition and a little bit of fun to this fall dish.
Vegan meatballs really round out pasta dishes, and I couldn’t stop myself from making them pumpkin flavored. These bean balls are so easy to make that you may never buy frozen veggie meatballs again!
For a pumpkin-packed meal, try these pumpkin meatballs with vegan pumpkin pasta.
What ingredients are in vegan meatballs?
These “vegan meatballs” or “bean balls” are blended together in a food processor using a few simple ingredients:
- Cannelini beans (white beans) are the heart of the vegan meatball, providing protein, texture, and the bulk of meatball shape
- Rolled oats and a flax egg (you can use regular eggs if you don’t follow a vegan diet) work together to bind the pumpkin beanballs
- Other than contributing to the name and the flavor, pumpkin adds a nice smoothness to the final product
- Spices: sage, pepper, onion powder, garlic, red pepper flakes, and a bit of salt. Keep it simple and enjoy the fall flavors!
- Pumpkin seeds add variety to the texture and provide zinc, magnesium, and a variety of other nutrients
How to make pumpkin meatballs
Step 1. Make a flax egg by mixing ground flax seed and water together in a small dish. Let rest for three minutes.
Step 2. Drain and rinse the beans. Pat dry with a paper towel. This removes excess moisture which can cause the meatballs to fall apart while cooking.
Step 3. Add all ingredients to a food processor. Process until mostly broken down; some whole pieces of rolled oats should still remain. Let the mixture rest in the fridge for 30 minutes; this makes it easier to form into balls.
Step 4. Form the refrigerated mixture into 10-12 ping pong sized balls.
Step 5. Lightly fry until brown. Heat canola oil in a medium pan. Add the meatballs to the hot oil, stirring occasionally to brown all sides. They are ready when the outsides are lightly browned and crispy.
Looking for more protein-packed vegan recipes?
- The Best Vegan Meatballs
- Baked Tofu with Peanut Sauce
- Vegan Black Bean Burgers
- Instant Pot Red Lentil Curry
Vegan Pumpkin Meatballs
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) cannellini beans
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds AKA pepitas
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing ground flaxseed and water together in a small dish. Let rest for three minutes before using.
- Drain and rinse the beans. Pat dry with a towel to remove excess moisture.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Processor until mostly broken down but not entirely pureed. Let the mixture rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. This makes it easier to form the vegan meatballs.
- Form the refrigerated mixture into 10-12 ping pong sized balls.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in medium frying over medium heat. Add the bean balls to the hot oil, stirring occasionally to brown all sides. They are ready when the outsides are lightly browned and crispy.