Hummus toast with avocado is a healthy and satisfying plant-based breakfast recipe that comes together in under 10 minutes. It's perfect for busy mornings and is super easy to customize!
Hummus is good for more than just bowls and snacking. If you're looking for a new plant-based breakfast idea that's anything but boring, try hummus toast!
I make hummus toast for breakfast more often than I make anything else, so I thought that it was about time to share my go-to breakfast on the blog.
While hummus and toast are great as is, adding avocado makes the meal extra satisfying and makes it feel like you're out at a fancy brunch instead of eating breakfast at home before starting work.
- Hummus-slathered toast topped with avocado, pumpkin seeds, and arugula
- Ready in less than 10 minutes
- Easy to customize using whatever ingredients you have on hand
- Packed with protein and healthy fats for a satisfying breakfast
Hummus toast with avocado is a great breakfast option because it features carbs, protein, and healthy fats. The combination of these three elements help to keep you full for longer.
What you'll need
Avocado, hummus, and bread are the only ingredients that you really need to make this hummus toast, but a few extra ingredients will take the toast to the next level!
- Avocado: Choose a ripe large avocado. I use half an avocado per toast, so you'll have leftover for the next day or for other meals if you choose to eat just one slice of toast.
- Hummus: I use plain or garlic hummus, but any kind works!
- Pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, add crunch and micronutrients like magnesium. Hemp seeds add healthy fats (they're a pantry staple for me but entirely optional if you don't have them on hand).
- Nutritional yeast adds flavor and provides vitamin B12.
- Bread: A bakery-style loaf is best for fancy hummus toast, but any plain toast will do. Most weeks I use whole wheat sandwich bread because that's what I usually have on hand.
- Everything bagel seasoning is my go-to all purpose seasoning. I buy mine at Trader Joe's but it's easy to make homemade seasoning.
- Arugula adds a zesty flavor and a serving of vegetables.
Making hummus toast is easy.
- Toast a slice of bread. I use my air fryer/toaster oven but of course a simple toaster works.
- Top with a layer of hummus. Adding hummus first allows the other ingredients to stick to the toas.
- Add other ingredients like arugula, pumpkin seeds, and avocado.
For best quality, enjoy immediately.
- Hummus: I usually use homemade garlic hummus or homemade jalapeno hummus, but the options are endless here. Try beet hummus, white bean spread, or even black-eyed pea hummus.
- Veggies: Add sliced bell pepper, sliced radish, or sauteed mushrooms for an extra serving of vegetables.
- Bread: Choose a bakery-style loaf, gluten-free bread, white bread, etc.
- Protein: Add a fried egg for extra protein or add air fryer chickpeas for a vegan protein option.
- Spice: Add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes or hot sauce for heat.
- Make it a sandwich by adding another piece of toast. Or use a bagel instead of bread to make a bagel sandwich! I love using everything bagels here.
A ripe avocado should have a slight give when gently pressed. Another sign that it's ready is when a small piece of stem can easily be removed from the end of the avocado.
Avocados brown when exposed to air, so the best way to store avocados is with as minimal air exposure as possible. I use this avocado storage container, but you can also wrap the avocado in foil or just place it cut side down in a storage container. Keep in the fridge and use within a day for best results. Any browned avocado parts can be shaved off.
Yes, this is a great balanced breakfast option because it contains protein, fiber, carbs, and healthy fats. It also has omega-3s from hemp seeds and the avocado is filled with vitamins and minerals.
That's up to you! For a neutral flavor choose plain or garlic hummus. Roasted red pepper, olive, or even beet hummus. I like to use homemade hummus but brands like Cedar's, Sabra, and store-brand are all good options.
Looking for more easy breakfast recipes?
Did you try this recipe? You can leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ in the recipe card or a review down in the comments section. I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow along on my YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, and Pinterest or sign up for my newsletter!
Hummus Toast with Avocado
- 2 slices multigrain bread or bread of choice
- ¼ cup hummus
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 2 teaspoons everything bagel seasoning
- 2 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds aka pepitas
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds optional
- Toast bread slices. Spread each slice with 2 tablespoons hummus. Sprinkle each slice with ½ tablespoon nutritional yeast. Top with arugula.
- Slice each avocado half into thin slices. Use a spoon to scoop the slices out. Place half of an avocado on each piece of toast.
- Top each slice with 1 teaspoon everything bagel seasoning, 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds, and ½ tablespoon hemp seeds. Enjoy!
- Hummus: I usually use homemade garlic hummus but any kind works.
- A ripe avocado should have a slight give when gently pressed. Another sign that it's ready is when a small piece of stem can easily be removed from the end of the avocado
- All seasonings can be adjusted to appetite and taste!