This creamy french onion dip is nut-free and made with sweet caramelized onions and silken tofu. It’s perfect as a party appetizer or sandwich spread!
French onion dip is one of my guilty pleasures. It’s like the Midwestern analog to the South’s pimento cheese: creamy, dippable, and downright addicting. I grew up eating it on everything: potato chips, sandwiches, hot dogs… I’m not afraid to say that I love French onion dip in all of its forms.
As a dietitian, I like making traditionally “unhealthy” recipes like this one a little bit healthier. A few simple swaps make this vegan french onion dip healthier than your classic dip without sacrificing flavor.
What’s the secret to making vegan french onion dip?
Replacing most of the mayonnaise (and all of the sour cream) with silken tofu increases the protein content and decreases the saturated fat. But don’t worry, no flavor is sacrificed in the making of this french onion dip.
I messed around with the proportions a lot on this recipe because I believe that taste should always come before making a recipe healthy. This dip passed the test with my boyfriend, who doesn’t even like non-vegan french onion dip! How’s that for a win?
Sweet caramelized onions
You can’t make french onion dip without caramelized onions. Well, maybe you can, but it just won’t be nearly as good as the real deal.
Caramelized onions are sweet and blend in perfectly in this dip.
Since onions really shrink down when they’re caramelized, I like to make them in bulk. This recipe requires two large yellow onions (yielding about 1/2 a cup), but you can easily double the recipe. Use your extra caramelized onions as sandwich and soup toppers, or include in a tofu scramble.
To make the dip, simply combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If you prefer a chunkier dip you can dice half of the caramelized onions and fold them in after blending. Or use them on this Mushroom Philly Cheesesteak!
Enjoy chilled with chips or veggies or enjoy with a chickpea salad sandwich.
Creamy Vegan French Onion Dip
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces silken tofu (1/2 16 ounce block)
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Saute the sliced onions for 8-10 minutes, until lightly browned. Turn the heat down to medium low and sprinkle with salt. Stir every 10 minutes, until the onions are golden brown and tender, about 40 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Enjoy chilled. Spread on crackers or dip with chips and veggies.