Homemade vegan sausage gravy with flaky biscuits is the ultimate comfort food. You can make this savory country-style breakfast gravy from scratch in just 15 minutes using simple, wholesome ingredients. Gluten-free gravy optional.
Nothing says quite like homemade biscuits and gravy. This is one of my go-to recipes that I can't wait to share with you! I love spending Sunday mornings making a large batch of vegan biscuits & gravy for brunch.
Why this recipe works
Diet-friendly: Vegan and easy to make soy and/or gluten-free
Comfort food: No short cuts here. We're talking flaky, buttery biscuits and creamy, savory gravy, just without the animal products!
Quick and easy: This recipes takes just 15 minutes to make using pantry staples.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases; read my disclaimer policy for more information.
What you'll need
Biscuits: Try making homemade biscuits using my complete guide to southern style vegan biscuits or opt for a store-bought biscuit. A few brand-name biscuits, like Pillsbury's "southern style biscuits", are accidentally vegan. Be sure to double-check the ingredient label, as sometimes formulation changes. Sweet Potato Biscuits are also a delicious choice!
Vegan sausage: Brands like Lightlife, Field Roast, and many others make vegan sausages that can be found at most grocery stores. Morningstar makes maple-flavored veggie sausage but it contains egg and milk ingredients. Tempeh bacon would also be delicious!
Nutritional yeast: This adds depth to the gravy but can be omitted if it's not available.
Seasonings: Thyme, sage, garlic powder, salt and cayenne pepper combine to make a deliciously herby and flavorful gravy.
Step by step instructions
1. Cook vegan sausage of choice according to package instructions. Once cooked, use a knife to crumble.
2. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Return sausage to the pan. Sprinkle in all-purpose flour. Sauté until flour is lightly browned, about 1 minute.
3. Slowly whisk in soy milk ½ cup at a time, until 2 cups are added.
4. Add the garlic powder, thyme, sage, optional cayenne pepper, salt and nutritional yeast.
5. Bring gravy to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat to medium-low. Continue whisking to prevent clumping. The gravy is ready when it coats the back of a spoon without sliding off, about 5-8 minutes.
Recipe FAQ and Expert Tips
Mushroom gravy: Make mushroom gravy by substituting with equal amounts chopped baby bella or white mushrooms. You will need to sauté chopped mushrooms for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
Yes! Make it gluten-free by using equal amounts of corn starch or gluten-free all-purpose flour in place of all-purpose flour. Choose a guaranteed gluten-free vegan sausage or opt for mushrooms.
Keep refrigerated in a closed container for 3-4 days. It will appear very thick when cold but will loosen when reheated. Add a splash of non-dairy milk when reheating in the microwave or on the stove.
Unsweetened and unflavored soy milk is my go-to because it has a neutral flavor. Almond, oat and most other non-dairy milks should also work.
Looking for more breakfast ideas?
Did you make this recipe? You can leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ in the recipe card or a review down in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow along on my YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest or sign up for my newsletter!
Vegan Biscuits & Sausage Gravy
- 6 vegan biscuits see note
- 5 ounces vegan sausage see note
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk see note
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry sage
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional - makes it lightly spicy
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare vegan biscuits using preferred method.
- Cook vegan sausage according to package instructions. Use a knife to crumble cooked sausage into ground consistency.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, return crumbled sausage to pan. Sprinkle in ¼ cup all-purpose flour. Cook until golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in ½ cup soy milk at a time until all 2 cups are added. Whisk in nutritional yeast, thyme, sage, garlic powder, salt and optional cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat to medium-low. Continue whisking to prevent clumping.
- The gravy is ready when it coats the back of a spoon without sliding off, about 5-8 minutes.
. Season with freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Vegan Biscuits: Use my guide to Southern Style Vegan Biscuits or choose a store-bought premade biscuit. Brand-name biscuits are sometimes accidentally vegan.
- Vegan sausage: Brands like Lightlife, Field Roast, and many others make vegan-sausages that can be found at most grocery stores. Morningstar makes maple-flavored veggie sausage but it contains egg and milk ingredients.
- Soy milk: Make sure to choose unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk. I use soy milk as the creamy base of this vegan gravy. You can also try almond or cashew milk.
- Make it gluten-free by using equal amounts of corn starch or gluten-free all-purpose flour in place of all-purpose flour. Choose a guaranteed gluten-free vegan sausage or opt for mushrooms.
- Make mushroom gravy by substituting with an equal amount chopped baby bella or white mushrooms. You will just need to saute chopped mushrooms for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Nutrition information is calculated using Southern Style Vegan Biscuits. Nutritient information will differ based on brand of veggie sausage, non-dairy milk and biscuit used.