This vegan mushroom gravy is a savory and flavorful addition to any meal! Made with only 8 ingredients (plus salt and pepper), it’s easy to mix up in under 15 minutes.
diet-friendly: vegan, vegetarian, nut-free and gluten-free optional
Quick & easy: ready in just 15 minutes
Filled with rich and savory flavors from baby bella mushrooms
Texture: this is a chunky gravy but can be puréed in a blender if you prefer a smooth gravy
Mushrooms: I use baby bella mushrooms but cremini or white mushrooms also work.
Vegetable broth: While homemade is the most flavorful option, storebought veggie broth works as well. I recommend using a reduced sodium broth so that salt level can be adjusted to taste.
Soy sauce: I recommend using regular (not reduced sodium) soy sauce because it contributes to so much of the flavor. Tamari or coconut aminos work for a gluten-free option.
Sage: Fresh sage can be replaced with ½ teaspoon dry sage as needed.
All-purpose flour: This thickens the gravy.
Yellow onion and garlic: For flavor! Dice onion finely.
Olive oil: I use extra virgin olive oil. Canola, vegetable, avocado or any similar oil will work.
Step by step instructions
Step 1. In a medium saucepan or skillet over medium heat, sauté finely chopped mushrooms and onions in olive oil. Sauté until mushrooms are softened, about 6-8 minutes. The mushrooms will shrink significantly while cooking, releasing moisture and concentrating their flavor.
Step 2. Once the mushrooms and onions are softened, add minced garlic. Sauté 1-2 minutes more, until garlic is aromatic and golden.
Step 3. Once everything is sautéed, don't any excess mushroom liquid. This liquid will contribute to the gravy. Sprinkle in all-purpose flour, whisking until lightly browned and cooked. This will take about one minute.
Step 4. And now, the part where your mushrooms become gravy: add the vegetable broth. Slowly whisk the vegetable broth into the pan.
Step 5. Reduce the gravy to a simmer, then season with black pepper, soy sauce, and fresh sage. Simmer until the gravy reaches desired thickness. Whisk in additional vegetable broth to thin the gravy as needed and taste for salt and pepper.
Make this recipe gluten-free by replacing soy sauce with tamari. Use a gluten-free all purpose flour mix, such as Bob's Red Mill, in place of standard all-purpose flour.
Put in a closed container and refrigerate for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stove over medium heat. You may need to add a splash of broth since it will thicken as it sits.
You can freeze the gravy in a closed container for up to 3 months. Let thaw completely in the fridge before reheating on the stove or in the microwave.
More mushroom recipes
More of my favorite vegan mushroom-centered recipes:
Did you make this recipe? You can leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ in the recipe card or a review down in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow along on my YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest or sign up for my newsletter!
Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms finely chopped
- ½ medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth reduced sodium if available
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil. Add the onions and mushrooms to the hot oil. Sauté for 6-8 minutes, until the mushrooms release their juices and are tender.
- Add the garlic and saute for another minute, until aromatic and browned.
- Sprinkle in ¼ cup all-purpose flour. "Cook" until lightly browned, stirring with a whisk as needed. The oil, mushroom juices, and flour will combine into a paste.
- Slowly pour in the vegetable broth while whisking consistently. Add the soy sauce, sage and freshly ground black pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer over medium-low. Continue to whisk the gravy occasionally to prevent a film from forming.
- Simmer until the gravy coats the back of a metal spoon without falling off, or until desired thickness is reached. Taste for salt and enjoy!