Filling, healthy, and easily customizable, these vegetarian burrito bowls come together in minutes! Perfect for meal prep or quick weeknight dinners.
Burrito bowls are one of my most frequent meal prep lunches. They’re so quick to throw together and they’re easy enough to customize that I don’t get tired of the same ole’ burrito bowl.
I love veggie burrito bowls because they are packed with protein, complex carbs, veggies, healthy fats and crunch. (Crunch is always the most important factor of anything, right?!)
We’ll be using vegan tempeh taco meat for protein, which makes this extra burrito-y and flavorful!
This tempeh taco meat takes only 15 minutes to make, which means that you can prep your burrito bowls while the tempeh is cooking.
You can also prep all of the ingredients for vegetarian burrito bowls ahead of time so that the bowls are ready to be assembled at a moments notice.
Customize veggie burrito bowls to your heart’s content
Think of this recipe as the framework for a healthy burrito bowl. One bowl contains a serving of protein, grains, veggies and flavor.
Additional ingredients welcomed. Think fajita veggies, crunchy tortilla strips, vegan tofu chorizo.
These burrito bowls are made with simple ingredients like:
Vegan Tempeh Taco Meat. This classic taco seasonings in this tempeh really bring the flavor to these bowls! Tempeh is a great source of plant protein, not to mention that it’s filled with prebiotics, vitamins and minerals.
Romaine lettuce. This underappreciated green (I’m looking at you, spinach and kale!) is high in antioxidants and vitamins A and K. It also provides the crunch factor, which is the most important part of any burrito bowl. Obviously.
Brown or white rice. Choose your favorite grain. Brown rice takes longer to make than white rice, so choose the grain that fits your schedule.
Shredded cheese. Cheddar, Monterrey jack, even cotija; cheese is the topping that pulls these bowls together. Replace with vegan cheese or omit entirely to make vegan.
Avocado. Monounsaturated fats from avocados are heart healthy and help to make this meal extra filling. Not to mention, they’re a flavorful, creamy addition to any meal.
Salsa. Choose your favorite salsa! Mild or spicy. Pico de gallo or restaurant style. I prefer spicy restaurant style (that flavor!) but any salsa works.
Cilantro and lime. Because a burrito bowl is incomplete without these classic Mexican flavors.
Vegetarian Burrito Bowl Tips
- Using fresh romaine lettuce instead of prepackaged can cut down on cost and plastic waste. To prep: remove the thick end of the lettuce (the core). Rinse individual leaves by hand or in a salad spinner to remove dirt and silt. Pat dry with a paper towel or let air dry in 10-15 minutes. One medium head of romaine yields 4-6 cups chopped lettuce.
- Meal prep hot items in the same container, cold items in another. For example, add rice and beans to one reheatable container. The other will have lettuce, salsa, cheese, avocado.
These bowls are perfect for meal prep lunches or quick weeknight family meals, but my favorite way is as part of a DIY burrito bowl bar.
Add refried black beans, fresh jalapenos, cherry tomatoes, a variety of salsas and cheeses – the options are endless!
Looking for more vegetarian meals?
- Vegetarian Black Bean Enchiladas
- Quinoa Taco Salad
- Fresh Black Bean Salad
- Jerk Tofu Tacos with Coconut Sauce
- Easy Vegetarian Bean Burritos
- Stove Top Black Beans and Brown Rice
Quick Vegetarian Burrito Bowls
- 1 recipe vegan tempeh taco meat
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice (from 1 cup dry rice)
- 4 cups romaine lettuce (chopped into bite sized pieces)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar or Monterrey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa of choice
- 2 small avocados (cubed)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro (for topping)
- 1 lime (cut into wedges)
- Cook white or brown rice according to package instructions. Make vegan tempeh taco meat according to recipe instructions. Prep remaining ingredients.
- To make one bowl combine: 1/4 recipe tempeh taco meat, 1 cup romaine lettuce, 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar, 1 tablespoon salsa, 1/2 avocado, 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, lime wedge.