This refried black beans recipe is the key to healthy customizable dinners, and it’s beyond easy to make in your Instant Pot.
Today I have a simple 10-ingredient recipe for you: refried black beans made in the Instant Pot. Not to hyperbolize right off the bat, but this recipe is kind of a lifesaver. It takes minimal effort with only 10 minutes of active time, and you can use these refried black beans in so many different ways.
Add refried black beans to burrito bowls, use as a taco or burrito stuffer, or enjoy as a warm bean dip at parties. And on and on!
Are you ready for another healthy and easy Instant Pot recipe? This is just the recipe to add to your repertoire.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases; read my disclaimer policy for more information.
Healthier refried beans
Black beans are a healthy and filling main dish option because they’re a great source of protein and are high in fiber.
These refried beans are a healthier alternative to store-bought refried beans. They’re low in saturated fat, with just 2 teaspoons of olive oil for 2 cups of cooked black beans. They’re also vegetarian and vegan because they don’t use animal fat, which many canned refried beans use.
Cooking with dry black beans allows you to control the amount of sodium in the final product. For an even lower sodium option, use water instead of vegetable broth.
How to make refried black beans in the Instant Pot
- Start by sauteing diced onion in a small amount of oil until translucent. Add the garlic and saute a minute more.
- Add the taco seasonings: cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and fresh cilantro. Not a fan of cilantro? That’s okay! Omit the cilantro and carry on.
- Add in the liquid and dry black beans. You can use vegetable broth or water if you’re looking for a low-sodium option.
- Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes. Release the pressure naturally. The beans should be tender and easily mashed with a fork or potato masher.
The entire recipe takes about 1.5 hours from start to finish, but only 10 minutes of that time is active.
Looking for more bean-filled Instant Pot recipes?
Refried Black Beans (Instant Pot)
- 1 cup dry black beans
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup sweet or red onion, diced 1/2 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- lime wedges for serving
- Rinse the dry black beans. Remove any debris or broken beans.
- Press the "saute" mode on your Instant Pot. Set to normal heat. Add the olive oil and saute the onion until translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Add the minced garlic and saute a minute more.
- Stir in the seasonings: cumin, chili powder, salt, oregano, cilantro. Add the liquid and dry black beans.
- Seal the lid into place and turn the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes, then allow a natural pressure release. It will take ~15 minutes to bring to pressure and 20-25 minutes for the natural pressure release. Once done, check the beans for tenderness.
- Mash the beans with a potato masher or fork to desired consistency; I like to leave about half of the beans intact. You can move the beans to a large bowl for this step if you're worried about scratching the Instant Pot.
- Top with additional cilantro and fresh lime juice and serve as a hot bean dip, taco stuffer, or with rice. Enjoy!