You can make creamy vegan grits in your Instant Pot with just a few minutes of active time. This Southern staple can be enjoyed sweet or savory!
Making stone-ground grits on the stove requires constant monitoring, so I set out for an easier way to make this Southern staple.
It turns out that it’s very straightforward to make grits, specifically dairy-free and vegan grits, in the Instant Pot.
Cooking grits in the Instant Pot allows for hands-free time to make a tofu scramble, slice fresh fruit, or prepare another part of your breakfast.
All in all it takes around 30 minutes to make Instant Pot grits, which is similar to the amount of time required for stovetop grits. Here’s the best part of Instant Pot grits: no lumpy, clumpy grits and no stirring! Could you ask for anything more?
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases; read my disclaimer policy for more information.
What are stone-ground grits?
Stone-ground grits are made from whole white or yellow corn kernels crushed between two stones. Stone-ground grits include the entire corn kernel. This slow grinding allows the corn to retain its natural oils and earthy flavors.
Instant or quick grits have been partially cooked, so they require much less time to make than regular grits.
For this recipe, we’ll use regular grits. You can find them labeled old fashioned grits, stone ground grits, or even coarse cornmeal.
How to make grits in the Instant Pot
Making instant pot grits requires under 5 minutes of active time. The cooking process will take about 30 minutes in all, including the time it takes your electric pressure cooker to come to pressure.
Toast the grits in hot oil or butter for two minutes. To do this, select the “saute” function on your electric pressure cooker. Heat oil, then add grits for two minutes, stirring occasionally to toast to a light brown color. This deepens their flavor.
Add liquid and salt. Salt is essential to the flavor of grits, but we’ll start with a small amount and taste for more after cooking. Stir in the non-dairy milk and water. I use unsweetened plain soy millk, because it’s a very creamy, mild flavored non-dairy milk.
Cook on high pressure for 13 minutes. Allow a 10-minute natural pressure release. Release the remaining pressure manually, then remove the lid. Saute off extra liquid, or splash with milk. It just depends on how you like your grits.
Taste for salt and pepper. Enjoy grits on their own or try out sweet grits by stirring in spoonful of molasses.
Are grits healthy?
Grits, in their simplest form, are just corn. A serving of grits is energy-dense, with carbohydrates contributing most significantly to their nutritional value.
Whole grain grits, like stone-ground grits, are a better option than instant grits because they contain more fiber.
The true nutritional impact of grits lies in the recipe add-ins. Watch the salt shaker and choose oil instead of butter, or replace heavy cream with non-dairy milk. Enjoy with a tofu scramble and fresh sauteed veggies for a well-rounded Southern vegetarian breakfast.
Looking for more recipes?
- Fluffy Vegan Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats (Instant Pot)
- Easy Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole
- Mocha Overnight Oats
- Fluffy Vegan Waffles
Creamy Instant Pot Grits (Vegan)
- 1 cup stone ground grits NOT Instant grits
- 1 tablespoon oil or vegan butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional) for "cheesey" grits
- Select the "saute" function on your electric pressure cooker. Heat the oil or butter. Once hot, add the grits. Saute for 2 minutes, stirring often with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle with salt, then add the water and soy milk. Add nutritional yeast for "cheesey" grits. Lock the lid in place and set the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 13 minutes. When the cook time is up, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Manually release remaining pressure.
- Saute off additional liquid as desired, or stir in a splash of milk. Taste for salt and pepper. Enjoy!