All you need is quinoa, spices and a handful of pantry staples to make this versatile and delicious Instant Pot quinoa salad! This recipe is great on its own or as a taco or burrito filling.
- diet-friendly: vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and soy-free
- ready in under 30 minutes: Only requires 5 minutes of prep and 1 minute cook time
- flavored with Mexican-style spices
- perfect in burritos, tacos or on lettuce as a true taco salad
- no chopping or prep cooking required
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases; read my disclaimer policy for more information.
Ingredients and substitutions
Quinoa: Any variety of dry quinoa will work.
Fire-roasted tomatoes: Because tomatoes are acidic, a lot of Instant Pot recipes stir them in after cooking grains or beans. I did not run into any problems with adding tomatoes directly to the other ingredients when testing this recipe.
Beans: I use black beans or kidney beans but any bean will work. Use canned beans. This recipe does not work with dry beans.
Seasonings: A combination of onion powder, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, chili powder, cumin and salt make the quinoa super flavorful.
Vegetable broth: I use vegetable broth as the base liquid for additional flavor, but water will also work.
This recipe is truly as easy as dump, stir and cook. Just add the ingredients to the Instant Pot, stir them together and pressure cook for 1 minute.
It will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure. Once the 1 minute time is up, let the pressure release for 10 minutes.
Allow the pressure to release naturally then remove the lid. Taste for seasonings and stir in optional add-ins.
Recipe FAQ and expert tips
- All of my Instant Pot recipes are made in a 6 qt DUO60 Instant Pot. This recipe can be doubled if it is made in a 6 qt or 8 qt pot.
- I like to use diced tomatoes with chiles for extra flavor, but the same amount of regular or fire roasted canned tomatoes will also work.
- Toppings and add-ins: Feel free to get creative with toppings. My favorites are cherry tomatoes, jalapeno, fresh corn and pumpkin seeds.
Yes. Use an equal amount of vegetable broth for more flavor. I like to use a reduced sodium vegetable broth and adjust for salt after cooking.
Keep refrigerated in a closed container for 4-5 days. Reheat in the microwave in about 2 minutes or reheat on the stove over medium heat until warmed through.
Cook for 1 more minute on high pressure. Do a quick pressure release when the 1 minute is up.
Yes! Check out this quinoa taco salad for a stove top version.
- Taco or burrito filling
- Topped with (vegan or not) cheese, lettuce, sour cream, and salsa
- Served on lettuce as a green salad
More instant pot favorites
Did you try this recipe? You can leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ in the recipe card or a review down in the comments section. I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow along on my YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest or sign up for my newsletter!
Instant Pot Quinoa Taco Salad
- 1 and ½ cups dry quinoa
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast optional
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 and ⅓ cups water or vegetable broth
- 10 ounce can of diced tomatoes and green chilies with juices
- 15 ounce can of black beans drained
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium bell pepper diced
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 medium sliced tomato diced
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Rinse dry quinoa in a fine sieve or colander. Add to the pressure cooker pot.
- Add the spices: nutritional yeast, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric. Add the water or vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, black beans and salt.
- Stir all ingredients together. Lock the Instant Pot lid in place. Turn the vent to "sealing". Cook on high pressure for one minute. It will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure. After the 1 minute of cook time is up, allow a natural pressure release. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid when the Instant Pot has released pressure. Taste for seasonings, stir in optional add-ins and serve.
- Keep refrigerated in a closed container for 4-5 days. Enjoy warm.
- Nutrition facts are calculated using the base recipe only.