Barbecue jackfruit tacos are quick and easy to make, and they're eerily similar in texture and appearance to their carnivorous counterpart.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases; read my disclaimer policy for more information.
Nothing says it's time for a vegan barbecue quite like BBQ jackfruit tacos. This is the kind of thing every vegan or vegetarian (or person in general) should have in their kitchen arsenal.
Although I've tried many a jackfruit recipe, my favorite is always barbecue jackfruit. Because, let's be honest: if you're from the South, you're probably a fan of barbecue. And if you're vegetarian or vegan, you might miss pulled pork...but just a little bit.
That's where the lovely jackfruit comes in to save the day! Jackfruit is not only rich in vitamins (niacin, thiamine, pyridoxine, folic acid), it's also a great source of fiber. Jackfruit is also free from saturated fats and cholesterol, unlike the classic southern staple I grew up loving.
Canned jackfruit can be found at most Asian markets, and these days it seems that Trader Joe's always has it in stock. Check online if you're unable to find it in stores.
I adapted this recipe from It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken's "6 Ingredient Pulled Jackfruit", because Sam Turnbull is queen of all things tasty, and I've never met a recipe of hers that didn't blow me away. I opted to finish cooking the BBQ jackfruit on the stovetop to reduce dishes and to keep in a good bit of moisture. This also allows the sauce to caramelize slightly, yielding a wonderfully sweet result.
Top your BBQ jackfruit tacos with refreshing mango avocado salsa
When topped with Mango Avocado Salsa, these BBQ jackfruit tacos go to the next level of mouth watering amazing. Serve with corn tortillas, shredded lettuce, and a squirt or lime juice for a meal fit for herbivores and carnivores alike.
BBQ Jackfruit Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa
Mango Avocado Salsa
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 cup mango, diced
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic salt
BBQ Jackfruit Tacos
- 2 cans (20 oz) green young jackfruit
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut in strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup barbecue sauce of choice
- 8 corn tortillas
Mango Avocado Salsa
- Dice avocado, mango, and tomatoes into half inch cubes. Combined in a small bowl. Sprinkle with garlic salt.
BBQ Pulled Jackfruit
- Rinse and drain cans of jackfruit. Cut jackfruit into smaller pieces with a scissors, until it is mostly shredded. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in medium pan. Saute onion until slightly softened, around five minutes. Add in minced garlic, sauteing for 1 minute. Add in jackfruit and broth. Cover with lid and let steam for 5-8 minutes. If any large pieces of jackfruit remain, use a potato masher to break them down.
- Uncover the pan and add in barbeque sauce. Stir to fully cover jackfruit. Cook jackfruit uncovered over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally with a spatula to prevent sticking. The jackfruit is done when barbecue sauce is thickened and the jackfruit is no longer watery.
- Serve jackfruit on corn tortillas and top with mango avocado salsa. Store refrigerated in an air tight container for up to five days.