Zesty blueberry and lemon energy bites are made with dates, cashews, and fresh lemons. They’re perfect as a between meal treat or grab-and-go snack!
Blueberry season is in full swing here in Georgia. What better way to celebrate than with a burst of fresh blueberry-packed energy?
These date energy bites pair fresh blueberries with lemon zest and lemon juice for a refreshingly sweet + tart combination!
Perfect for snacking and meal prep
These no-bake blueberry and lemon energy balls are the perfect nutrient packed treat for spring and summer. They take less than 10 minutes to mix up and can easily be frozen for later use.
Energy bites are a quick addition to weekend meal prep. I usually make a batch of energy balls on Sunday to snack on throughout the week. Throw in your lunch bag for a mid-afternoon snack, or keep in the fridge as a grab-and-go treat during the week.
What are the benefits of Medjool dates?
Medjool dates are packed with vitamins, minerals, and energy from complex carbohydrates. They’re known as “nature’s natural sweetener” because they are very sweet, with the majority of calories coming from sugars.
With 1.6 grams of fiber per Medjool date, they can be a generous contribution to the recommended daily intake of 25-38 grams of fiber per day (25 g for women and 38 g for men). Fresh blueberries and rolled oats are also good sources of fiber.
According to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Higher intakes of dietary fiber reduce the risk of
developing several chronic diseases, including cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and some cancers
Fresh lemon juice and lemon zest compliment the sweetness from the dates. Combine with energy-packed dates with cashews, blueberries and rolled oats for a sweet, nutrient packed treat.
Tips for making blueberry lemon energy bites
Rest the mix before forming into balls. This mixture is quite soft and sticky. Cooling it in the fridge for an hour will make it much easier to roll into balls. If the mixture is too sticky to roll you can add additional rolled oats.
Store in the fridge. These energy bites are quite soft. They keep their shape best if stored in a tightly closed container in the fridge.
Roll into bites, call it an energy bite, or shape it into a bar – either way you slice it, you’re in for a zesty treat.
Looking for more easy snack recipes?
These Strawberry Almond Energy Balls are the most popular recipe on Cozy Peach Kitchen. So there must be something pretty tasty about the combination of dates, fruit, and nuts!
Blueberry Lemon Energy Bites
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates 7-9 large dates
- 1/4 cup unsalted cashews can use raw or roasted
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Combine blueberries, dates, cashews, lemon zest and lemon juice in a food processor or high powered blender. Blend until the dates are pureed and other ingredients are mostly broken down.
- Add the rolled oats to the food processor. Process until combined with the blended dates. The mixture should be able to hold together in a sticky ball; if not, add an extra 1/4 cup rolled oats. Process in the food processor as needed.
- Chill mixture for 1 hour; this will make it easier to form into balls.
- Form the chilled date mixture into 12-13 small ping-pong sized balls. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.