Making vegan pancakes from scratch is easy with this traditional pancake recipe. These pancakes are fluffy, golden brown, and made with vegan “buttermilk”.
What is a comfort food blog without a go-to recipe for pancakes? This is what I asked myself as I pondered what to make for breakfast a couple of weekends ago.
I was all set to make pancakes with soysage and eggs when I realize that Cozy Peach Kitchen is pancake-less. (Aside from sweet potato pancakes, but unlike traditional pancakes, those require some forethought.)
Naturally, I roughed up my kitchen at 9 am on a Sunday and figured out a way to make easy, tasty pancakes without eggs or dairy.
My recipe for fluffy vegan waffles is one of my reader’s favorites (because, really, who can say no to a fluffy waffle?), so it’s time to share a recipe for fluffy PANCAKES.
These vegan pancakes are
- Easy to make
- Use a classic pancake making method
- Use traditional pancake ingredients + homemade vegan buttermilk!
- Soft, fluffy, and golden brown
How do you make vegan pancakes?
Making vegan pancakes is as easy as making non-vegan pancakes, with just two different steps:
- Make a vegan buttermilk mixture by combining unsweetened plain soymilk with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, then let the mixture rest for 10 minutes. The lemon juice will curdle the soy milk, resulting in a thick and tangy mixture similar to buttermilk.
- Make the flax egg by combining ground flaxseed and water, then let rest for 5 minutes. The gooey emulsion that forms imitates the binding and the rising power of an egg.
Can I freeze pancakes?
Yes, and frozen pancakes make for a quick and easy breakfast. Just freeze pancakes in an airtight container, with pieces of wax paper, foil, or saran wrap between each pancake. This prevents them from sticking to each other.
Heat the frozen pancakes (be sure to remove the wax paper etc.) for 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave until thawed.
Looking for more breakfast recipes?
- Fluffy Vegan Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Easy Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
- Sweet Potato Biscuits with Cashew Mushroom Gravy
- Vegan Potato Skillet Breakfast
- Ginger Peach Yogurt Smoothie
This classic pancake recipe is perfect for breakfast or breakfast for dinner! Enjoy with a tofu scramble or roasted veggies for a balanced breakfast.
Or drizzle with maple syrup, a handful of fresh fruit, and a sprinkle of cinnamon and call it a day!
Fluffy Vegan Pancakes
- 1 and 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice from ~1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons organic white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- 1/4 cup canola or olive oil
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup mix together the soy milk and lemon juice to make "buttermilk". Stir and let sit for 10 minutes before using. It will thicken and may clump.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flaxseed and water to make a thick flax egg. Let rest for 5 minutes before using.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture, oil, and flaxseed mixture into the dry ingredients. Whisk until just combined; some lumps may remain, that's okay.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat with non-stick spray. Use a 1/3 cup measure to measure out pancakes. Flip when bubbles rise and pop on the pancakes. They are ready when golden brown on each side.
- Enjoy with a drizzle of maple syrup and additional cinnamon.
<d/iv style=”display: none;”>