Instant Pot Vegan Cream of Broccoli soup is creamy, nutrient-packed, and made with just a few ingredients. You'll love how easy it is to make this comfort food classic in your Instant Pot! Vegan, gluten-free, optional soy-free.
Homemade cream of broccoli soup is so easy to make in the Instant Pot. You only need a few pantry staples and a few minutes of active time, and before you know it you'll have a cozy bowl of nutritious broccoli soup!
One of the most important ingredients, aside from broccoli, is vegetable broth. Use your favorite broth, and if you can choose one that is reduced sodium.
I add potatoes to vegan cream of broccoli soup to give the soup its classic thickness. To add a little extra creaminess we'll use an unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk like soy milk.
Almond, cashew or oat milk also work.
Onions, garlic, and carrots add warmth and depth. I like to add nutritional yeast for a "cheesey" flavor, but you can also keep it simple with just salt & pepper.
This broccoli soup calls for frozen broccoli instead of fresh. Here's why:
- Less time spent on prep
- Make this soup year round - even when broccoli isn't in season!
- Frozen broccoli is nutritionally equivalent to fresh broccoli
Can I use fresh broccoli instead?
Yes! Frozen and fresh broccoli work in this recipe. You don't even have to change the cooking time.
You will need 32 ounces, or two pounds, or fresh broccoli.
How to make
Step 1. Press the "saute" button on your electric pressure cooker. Saute onion, carrot, diced potato and garlic for 5 minutes, until onions are softened.
Step 2. Add broccoli, black pepper, optional nutritional yeast and vegetable broth. Stir to combine.
Step 3. Cook on high pressure for 2 minutes. It will take 15-18 minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure. When the two minutes are complete, do a quick pressure release - careful, hot steam will come out for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Step 4. Remove the Instant Pot lid. Stir in soy milk (or another milk alternative). Blend the soup using an immersion blender (this is my favorite immersion blender). Be careful not to hit the bottom of the pot with the immersion blender.
Looking for more Instant Pot soup recipes?
I also have a stove top version of vegan broccoli soup recipe if you don't have an Instant Pot.
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Chickpea Noodle Soup
- Creamy Vegan White Bean Soup
- Chipotle Vegan Black Bean Soup
Did you try this recipe? You can leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ in the recipe card or a review down in the comments section. I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow along on my YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, and Pinterest or sign up for my newsletter!
Instant Pot Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 32 ounces frozen broccoli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion from 1 medium onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 pound potatoes peeled and diced into ½" cubes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 and ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk divided in half
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Press the "saute" button on your Instant Pot. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once hot, add diced onion, diced carrots, peeled diced potatoes and garlic. Add ¼ teaspoon salt. Saute until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. If onion or garlic stick to the bottom of the pot, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable broth to deglaze.
- Add ½ teaspoon black pepper, and 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional). Add frozen broccoli and vegetable broth. Stir to combine.
- Put the Instant Pot lid into place and set the valve to sealing. Select "high pressure" and set timer to 2 minutes. It will take 15-18 minutes to come to pressure. When the 2 minutes are complete, do a quick pressure release - careful, a lot of hot steam will come out! It may take up to a minute for all of the steam to release.
- Remove the Instant Pot lid. Test a potato for doneness (see note if not completely done). Stir in ½ cup unsweetened soy milk. Use an immersion blender (this is the one that I use) to puree the soup, careful to avoid the bottom of the pot. Once blended, add another ½ cup of soy milk to thin (if needed).
- Taste for salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley, additional nutritional yeast for "cheesiness", and your favorite vegan cheese and crackers. Enjoy!
- If the potatoes aren't done after 2 minutes of cooking: put the Instant Pot lid back in place and set the timer to 1 minute on high pressure. The Instant Pot will come to pressure much more quickly than before. When the 1 minute timer is complete, do a quick pressure release.
- Almond, cashew, or oat milk can be used in place of soy milk. Make sure to choose an unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk.
- Can I use a regular blender instead or an immersion blender? Short answer: yes. Long answer: you will need to work in batches and blending hot liquid can be dangerous. Work in small batches and don't fill your blender completely full.