This vegan cream cheese recipe is loaded with fresh herbs and is made in just ten minutes! It’s fancy enough to serve at a dinner party with crackers or veggies, and easy enough to spread on a bagel for breakfast.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases; read my disclaimer policy for more information.
Does anyone else just really like creamy spreads? A cracker or piece of toast just isn’t the same without the extra layer of flavor. That’s where vegan cashew cream cheese with herbs comes into the picture.
I’m not the biggest fan of store-bought vegan cream cheese, so I knew there had to be a homemade alternative. I’ve tried a few recipes online, but in true Cozy Peach fashion, I had to make my own.
It turns out that combing herbs, cashews and a few pantry staples makes the most delicious cream cheese!
Tangy lemon juice and apple cider vinegar really accentuates the herb flavors.
To make the most of the herbs we’ll actually combine them with oil in a small bowl. Heat the bowl in the microwave for just long enough to make the oil hot, about 15 seconds. This allows the herbs to “bloom” and release their flavors.
As much as I love fresh herbs, I realize that it’s not always budget friendly to purchase fresh herbs. You can use fresh or dry herbs in this recipe.
One and a half teaspoons fresh chopped herbs generally equals about one half teaspoon of dry herbs.
How to make
Cashews make a great cream cheese base because they break down to a soft and smooth texture after being blended for 1-2 minutes.
I recommend using a food processor instead of a blender, unless you know that your blender is great at blending cashews.
Either way you will want to soak the cashews overnight to soften them. If you forgot to soak the cashews you can cover them in very hot water for an hour.
This recipe is really as easy as blend, blend, blend. Spread. Eat. Enjoy!
Vegan Herb Cashew Cream Cheese
- 2 cups cashews, raw
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar more as needed
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons tablespoon rosemary chopped
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons tablespoon thyme chopped
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons tablespoon oregano chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Soak cashews in water overnight or in hot (almost boiling) water for at least an hour. Once softened, rinse and drain soaked cashews.
- Stir together olive oil and herbs (basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano) in a small bowl. Heat in the microwave until hot, about 15 seconds.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend mixture until it is a spreadable consistency. It should be spreadable, but not so thick that it can be cut in half. Scrape down sides of the food processor with a spatula as needed. Add additional apple cider vinegar to thin the cream cheese, if needed.
- Store refrigerated in airtight container for up to one week.
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons fresh herbs can be replaced with 1/2 teaspoon dry herbs.
- Lemon juice can be replaced with apple cider vinegar as needed.