Shake up your salad routine with this zesty chipotle ranch dressing with lime and cilantro! All you need is a few inexpensive ingredients and less than 5 minutes.
I love store bought dressing for its convenience but sometimes I like making my own at home. It’s surprisingly easy to do and is a great way to control the salt and sugar content in the dressing.
Obviously ranch is delicious on its own, but I love adding chipotle peppers because they add a bit of smokiness and depth. We’ll also be using half Greek yogurt and half olive oil mayo for a lighter and tangier dressing.
This chipotle ranch dressing is amped up with a bit of lime and cilantro for a fun take on classic ranch dressing. It takes less than 5 minutes to mix together and is great on salads or as a dipping sauce.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases; read my disclaimer policy for more information.
Ingredients and customization
This dressing uses just a few ingredients but it can easily be customized to meet your preferences.
- Greek yogurt and mayonnaise make up the base. If you are looking for a lighter option you can use 100% Greek yogurt by volume. This will yield a tangier dressing.
- Cilantro and lime add flavor, zest and brightness. One small lime yields about 2 tablespoons of lime juice.
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce add spice, so if you don’t love spicy food I would recommend adding adobo sauce to taste. Chipotle peppers are actually just jalapenos that have been smoked and dried, so they are less spicy than raw peppers.
- Garlic powder, onion powder and salt are added for that true ranch flavor. Adjust these to taste.
I don’t have a vegan version of this recipe but this vegan ranch dressing is a good starting point.
How to make
You can make this recipe in a blender or by hand with a whisk.
Blender method: This is really as easy as dump all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Whisking method: If you’re using a whisk (I like to use these mini whisks for dressings), I recommend chopping the chipotle peppers up very finely before adding them to the dressing. Use a whisk to whip the ingredients together until cohesive. I usually use this method because I don’t have a dishwasher and cleaning my blender can be a hassle!
Add in an extra tablespoon of lime juice to thin as needed.
Of course this would go delicious on a salad, but it’s also perfect as a dipping sauce. I like to dip it with veggie “chicken nuggets” or these crispy baked tofu bites.
This recipes keeps well refrigerated for up to one week.
Looking for more chipotle-based recipes? You might like this corn chowder and black bean soup recipe or check out these vegetarian bean burritos for a similar sauce. Or try this tahini goddess dressing for another salad favorite!
Homemade Chipotle Lime Ranch Dressing
- 5 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup olive oil mayonnaise regular will also work
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 finely chopped chipotle chili pepper from a 7 ounce can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the can of chipotle peppers
- 1 tablespoon lime from ~1/2 small lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- If whisking, add all ingredients to a small mixing bowl. Whisk until evenly combined. Add additional lime juice as needed to thin. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- If blending, add all ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add additional lime juice as needed to thin. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Refrigerate in a closed container, such as a pint ball jar, for up to one week.