These vegetarian baked beans are easy to make in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker in just about an hour- no overnight soaking required! These tender baked beans are made with your favorite barbecue sauce, onions, and garlic. The perfect easy side dish!
Summer may be coming to an end, but that won’t stop me from sharing one of my favorite vegetarian barbecue sides: vegetarian baked beans! And there’s something a lil’ extra special about these beans. They’re cooked to tender perfection in a pressure cooker!
Baked beans are one of my favorite healthyish comfort food sides. Growing up, they were one of the go-to sides in my house; baked beans with mashed potatoes, baked beans with hot dogs, with burgers… on and on. Usually from a can, sometimes homemade; always a comforting side dish.
How to make Instant Pot vegetarian baked beans
To make vegetarian baked beans in the pressure cooker, you will need just 5 main ingredients:
- Dry navy beans
- Onion and garlic
- Your favorite barbecue sauce
To begin, saute the diced onion for about 5 minutes using the saute function on your pressure cooker. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute. Add in the remaining ingredients (water, dry navy beans, and barbecue sauce) and cooked on high pressure for 45 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally (this takes about 15-20 minutes).
Can I use any barbecue sauce to make baked beans?
Every time that I make baked beans I like to try out a different barbecue sauce. My go to is this sweet and spicy vegan barbecue sauce, but any store bought brand will work just as well. If you follow a vegan or vegetarian diet, make sure to check the ingredients list of store bought barbecue sauce for Worcestershire sauce, as it is often made with anchovies.
Vegetarian Baked Beans (Instant Pot Recipe)
- 1 pound navy beans
- 4 and 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 and 1/2 cups favorite BBQ sauce
- Heat the olive oil using the saute function on your Instant Pot. Add the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute for one more minute. Turn off the saute function.
- Add the beans, water, and barbecue sauce to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine. Put on the lid and close the steam valve to sealed. Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally; this will take about 15-20 minutes.
- Test a couple of the beans to make sure they are tender. If not, cook on high pressure for 5 more minutes, repeating the process as needed.
- When the beans are done cooking and the Instant Pot is safe to open, remove the lid and set to saute function. Saute for 6-8 minutes to thicken the sauce.