Get excited, because your meal prep is about to get a whole lot easier with curry spiced spinach falafel. This baked falafel takes just a few minutes of prep and is loaded with aromatic flavor.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases; read my disclaimer policy for more information.
I’m always looking for ways to take my favorite recipes and mix them up a bit, like I did with these chickpea curry wraps. Spinach falafel is such a staple in the world of meal prep, but sometimes I want something a little different. J
This recipe, like most of my recipes, came to fruition because I was running low on food and had to rely on the dredges of my pantry. I am a lazy grocery shopper – I refuse to go to the store until I really need to go. Thankfully, the ingredients for vegan falafel are pantry staples.
How to make
The base of traditional falafel is chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans. Chickpeas are a great source of plant based protein, fiber, and iron.
Bean based dinners are usually my first stop when I’m trying to get the creative juices flowing. Beans, especially chickpeas, are a wonderful blank slate for flavors.
I ditched a few of the traditional ingredients (such as cilantro and parsley) and amped up the flavor with some different curry inspired ingredients:
- Curry powder
These three ingredients pack so much flavor and take an ordinary vegan falafel recipe to the next level!
I use chickpeas cooked from dry because that’s what I usually have on hand. This recipe works just as well with canned chickpeas.
If you’re using canned chickpeas, make sure to pat them dry to remove excess moisture – this makes the mixture stick together better. And don’t forget to reserve the aquafaba (chickpea juice) for raspberry chocolate mousse!
New to vegan falafel, or plant-based patties in general? Use spinach curry falafel in a grain bowl, on a sandwich (just make the patties a little bigger before baking), or in a salad. They’re super versatile and go well with most meals.
Vegan Curry Spinach Falafel
- 2 cups (or one 15 ounce can, drained) chickpeas
- 1 heaping cup fresh spinach, packed (about one large handful)
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 medium lime)
- 1 tablespoon tahini (can be subbed with oil)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Blend into a chunky mixture. The ingredients should be mostly broken up, but not turned into a paste. It will be hard to form into balls if it gets broken down too much, so be careful not to overblend.
- Divide the mixture into 12 balls. Flatten the balls into discs with the palm of your hand. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through. The falafels are very delicate, so be careful when flipping.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.