This zesty arugula salad is made with fresh spring produce like radishes and strawberries. Enjoy as a side with your favorite sandwich or soup!
Nothing says spring quite like fresh produce and easy salads. Arugula is the star of the show in this bright and spicy side salad, along with a few other spring ingredients.
I recently signed up for a community supported agriculture share (also known as CSA). It’s been so fun to get creative with eating in season! Arugula has shown up in my produce box 4 weeks in a row, so I’m now well acquainted with this spring green.
A light side salad is an obvious choice for arugula because it’s so quick and easy to mix up! You can make this salad in under 30 minutes, though most of the time is spent waiting on pearl barley to cook.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases; read my disclaimer policy for more information.
Let’s break down the ingredients in this spring arugula salad
Arugula. This leafy green is low in calories but packs a flavorful punch. Aside from delivering a bounty of flavor, arugula provides Vitamin K, which is essential for blood clot formation and bone health.
Radishes. Rich in fiber and naturally spicy (but not in a hot way), radishes lend a necessary crunch to this salad.
Pearl Barley. Pearl barley has been processed to remove its outer hull, making it quicker to cook than regular barley. Add this chewy grain to make your salad more filling.
Strawberries. Spring’s most bountiful berry adds a necessary sweetness to this tangy salad.
Lemon vinaigrette requires only 3 main ingredients!
This creamy and tangy salad dressing is made with fresh lemon juice, olive oil, and a bit of honey (use maple syrup to make vegan). Add ingredients to a jar and shake to combine for a flavorful dressing.
You might also like these recipes featuring spring produce:
- Lemon Blueberry Energy Balls
- Hummus Pasta with Lemon and Arugula
- Creamy Tahini Coleslaw
- Vegan Strawberry and Lemon Muffins
- Balsamic Cherry Tomato Pasta
Spring Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup dry pearl barley
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 6 cups arugula loosely packed
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- 4 sliced radishes stems removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice from two large lemons
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add dry pearl parley and liquid to a medium saucepan. Bright to a boil over high heat. Cover with a lid and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until barley is cooked through.
- Make the lemon vinaigrette by mixing fresh lemon juice, olive oil, and honey/maple syrup in a small jar or bowl. Whisk to combine. If using a jar, cover tightly with a lid and shake to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add arugula, radishes, strawberries and cooked pearl barley to a large bowl. Drizzle with lemon vinaigrette just before serving, tossing to combine. Enjoy!